Flood Damage in the United States, 1926-2003
A Reanalysis of National Weather Service Estimates
Data and Website Updates
Data and website updates listed in chronological order.
> April 2003:
- Added 2002 and 2003 flood damage estimates for national and state datasets, obtained from the NWS Hydrologic Information Center;
- Updated implicit price deflators for all years (national and state datasets) and the population value for 2001 (national dataset) based on new figures from the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis and the U.S. Census Bureau.
> December 2002:
- Added 2001 flood damage estimates for national and states datasets;
- Updated implicit price deflators for 1999-2001 based on new figures from the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis;
- Corrected national flood damage estimates for fiscal years 1976-79 (which accidentally were given for
calendar years in the original report). We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
> November 2002:
A check of our datasets revealed several cases where the decimal was misplaced for state “current $” damage figures. The damage values for following states and years have been corrected:
- Colorado (1991)
- Delaware (1974)
- Georgia (1955 and 1988)
- Iowa (1970 and 1990)
- Kentucky (1970)
- Louisiana (1985)
- Massachusetts (1972)
- Michigan (1972)
- Minnesota (1988)
- Nebraska (1987)
- Nevada (1965 and 1968)
- New Jersey (1969)
- Ohio (1988)
- Oregon (1969)
- Wisconsin (2000)
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.